Friday, April 21, 2006

Silver Linings

I’m not giving up on the poetry entirely, but as you can tell my participation in Poetry Month has been a bit spotty this week.

I’m trying not to be whiny and am failing miserably. The dreary day here in Northern Virginia isn’t helping. Mr. Random is off to play poker tonight with a bunch of our guy friends. I’m rather happy, because he hardly ever does social stuff with other people if I’m not involved, so I’m happy to see him doing something fun on his own.

It’s been a long week and I am cranky. Tonight it is just going to be me, Random Cat and the TV – at least until I fall asleep at some early hour. I am also going to work on a baby blanket that I’m knitting for a friend of mine and see if I can make some progress on that.

There’s been a mini-pregnancy explosion amongst the Random Friends. Four people I know are pregnant and due this Summer and Fall. When I hear about these things, there is a little twinge of “why not me?” and then I snap out of it and realize that I am really not ready for a kid yet – I have much too much to do, too many things that I still want to do in the near future . . .

Did you know that I might be partially renting an artist’s studio? This is one of the exciting things on the horizon for me . . . a friend and I might be going in together on renting a space. How cool! A space devoted only to art and things artistic! A place to draw and paint and print and not have to worry about ruining the dining room table or mussing the rug!

The new job is going along well, but I am still having occasional panic attacks about it. It is very overwhelming and I often am not quite sure that I know what I am doing . . . I probably need more rest than I am getting, which would make me a little more relaxed.

Random Cat has taken to sleeping with us at night again. After I have fallen asleep, she nestles herself on the comforter, right between my legs so that I can’t move during the night without waking her up. I know this because I have awakened at 2 in the morning to find a cat snoring below me . . .

[I can think of several rather vulgar jokes that I could make about this, but I will spare you all my sad sense of humor]

The weekend looks like it’s going to be rainy. Phooey! Last weekend I had a great time going to the Folger Shakespeare Library and to the Library of Congress, although both were rather underwhelming. The exhibits were kind of dumbed-down for my taste – I don’t know, I just expected something more. The Benjamin Franklin exhibit was incredibly disappointing to me, especially since I am such a fan. The Library of Congress’ permanent collection has changed a great deal since the last time I visited there 6 years ago, and not in a positive way.

I hope life is going well for everyone. I’ll keep you posted on the status of the studio.

1 comment:

Merci said...

A studio, how exciting! I keep saying that I'm going to set up a work area in the family room where I can create, but I have yet to do it.