Thursday, April 06, 2006

Poetry Day 6 - I Don't Understand

Today's exercise - Begin a poem with "I don't understand . . ." List three things you don't understand about the world or people. Name the thing you don't understand most of all. End the poem with an example of something you do understand . . .

So without further ado:

I Don't Understand

I don’t understand
Why we have to get older
Why things have to change
Why people we love have to go away

But most of all I don’t understand
Why can’t the people we know so well
And who know the real us
Why can’t they always stay in our lives
Why can’t we stay the perfect age for a few years
And not worry about being too old to do everything we want
Why we can’t just stop time for a while
And let the moments with our loved ones last forever

What I understand most is
People come and go in our lives for a reason
And become a part of us
And help make us who we are
Life is short
We can’t worry about getting older
We can do as much as we can while we are here
And love each other as long as we can.

No comments: