Thursday, April 27, 2006

Moving

I hate moving.

The Random Non-profit is moving its offices this weekend, so the past week has been spent packing and throwing things out. During this time, my new boss has come on board and we are trying to find our way through the substantial tasks that are going to need to be accomplished in the near future – tasks being made infinitely harder by some recent bone-headed moves by some higher ups.

I am not a fan of change.

Now, I love having new experiences – going out and seeing what there is to see, trying new foods, meeting new people. However, I am always comforted by the fact that I can go home again – a place that by definition doesn’t need to change unless you want it to. At work, your office is kind of your home – no matter what trying things happen at work, you can always retreat to your little cubby hole and by being surrounded by your things you can start to ground yourself back to sanity.

But when all your files are put away in boxes, your pictures taken down from the walls, and your office bare but for a desk, a chair and a computer, you feel unsettled. I would prefer that they not wait until the weekend to move everything – just send us home and be done with it!

I’m still having very anxious moments – so much change going on in such a short amount of time, so many challenges thrown at me. I’m glad Mr. Random is here to talk me down sometimes – if he wasn’t, I guess I’d have to walk around the block or something . . . although if that was the case, I probably would be halfway to New York by now . . .

Oh, by the way . . . I started wearing a pedometer during the day, which has turned out to be very depressing. One day I only took 458 steps. The whole day! Mr. Random, however, has racked up at least 6,000 each day. I guess I should get up and walk around a bit more, but I have actual work to do! And I sit in more meetings all day now! I’m so afraid that by the end of the summer I’m going to have gained 20 pounds, so I really need to figure something out . . .

Tonight is the last class of the semester for the ESL program. We usually give out certificates to all of the students who participated and have a large potluck dinner afterwards. I will be so happy to have to have my summer evenings free . . .

1 comment:

Merci said...

Good luck with the move! I just moved my location a few months back. Our entire office is moving in the fall. Boy howdy, that will be a mess! I think we're getting all new furniture, though, so that should make it a bit easier.

Take deep breaths. Tell yourself that this, too, shall pass, and remember that in a very short period of time you'll be all settled into the new digs. And think of all the fun you'll have pulling your stuff back out of the boxes and setting up your new space.