Monday, March 06, 2006

It was the Best of Weekends, It was the Worst of Weekends . . .

Some randomness to start off the week . . .

Watched most of the Oscars last night. I thought that Jon Stewart was wonderful – I actually *watched* the whole thing and enjoyed it. This year was much less schmaltzy than past years, although I did like the Ben Stiller bit and Will Ferrell and Steve Carrell . . . I’m just warped that way. Wished they had showed crowd reaction to the Three 6 Mafia playing, since I don’t think that most of the academy crowd is big on hip-hop/rap. Tom Shales wrote a scathing review of the evening in the Post today and I seriously wonder what show *he* was watching. I know that he isn’t a big JS fan, but the show actually was pretty good, IMHO . . .

Saturday was just awesome. Went out to lunch with some “Odd Couple”-type friends in Old Town and got to see a bit of the St. Patrick’s Day parade. Any event in Old Town brings out everyone and their dogs, and there were quite a few cute little outfits and cute little dogs about . . . and really huge dogs, too. Then we hung out a bit and went to the National Cathedral, but didn’t get there in time to get a tour. It was really cold and windy, so while we started to walk around the gardens, it was just too cold to really enjoy. We’ll have to go back again when it is a little warmer. We then went and got coffee/tea and hung out a bit more. It was such a nice relaxing day, which has been so rare lately . . . I need to do that more often – I came home with such a smile on my face and so wide awake (although that may have been the caffeine from the chai . . .)

When I got home, Mr. Random was working on taking down more of the bathroom wallpaper. We try to give each other a day to do whatever on our own, since we see each other all day, everyday at the office . . .

I am so incredibly tired though . . . I haven’t been sleeping very well during the week again, and my attempts at catching up on sleep are always thwarted for some reason. On Sunday, I was just a mess – all of the stress of the past few weeks just caught up with me and I pretty much burst into tears after church was over. I was exhausted and probably should have just stayed home and slept that morning, but we had some pretty cool choir songs that we had been practicing for this week and I didn’t want to miss it. However, when I got there I still wasn’t quite awake, and then they started practicing a song where I had to hit a pretty high “G,” kind of out of nowhere and I couldn’t do it. I sounded AWFUL. And I felt so embarrassed and frustrated that I just nipped down to the bathroom and had a mini-breakdown. There is just too much going on right now, and I have to keep track of too many things in my brain, and I’m going to have to jettison something – probably something church-related because I’m already doing Choir on Wednesday nights, which is quite enough, I think . . .

I need to take some days off, but I can’t even consider it for another couple of weeks until after the Random Non-Profit’s Board meetings are over and my new boss comes on board. Yes, I know . . . there’s always an excuse . . .

I have another professional development class tonight, ESL tomorrow night, Choir on Wednesday night, and dinner with a couple of Board members on Thursday night. At some point, I have to get Mr. Random some presents for his birthday on Friday – I know exactly what I’m going to get him now – a couple of Jared Diamond (Germs, Guns and Steel and Collapse) paperbacks and a DVD or two. Saturday night we have dinner with a bunch of work friends, but Sunday I’m not going anywhere or doing anything . . . at least at this point . . .

I need to do some more book reading . . . maybe once I get a couple of books completed, I’ll feel more like actually writing something useful . . . my brain is such Swiss cheese right now, I couldn’t write a coherent thought even if I wanted to . . . this Blog is exhibit A on that right now . . .

I hope everyone else had fun this weekend – do share! It's been pretty quiet here for a while . . .

No comments: