Friday, March 31, 2006

It Begins Again . . .

It’s that time of year again . . . April is National Poetry Month!

If you want to read up on a little bit of the background of Poetry Month, visit here: http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/41

I love words. I love how words fit together, how they bring about images and emotions. I love how words sound when spoken. I love a clever turn of phrase. In a parallel universe, I am sure I am a writer and editor at some publishing company. It feels like a calling that was somehow thwarted early on in my life experience . . .

I love poetry, even though I don’t read or write much of it in my daily life. So many different things going on, so much to read, everything competing for one’s attention. My mother taught us Edgar Allan Poe poems when my sister and I were little, and I loved all of the rhyming and alliteration. Dr. Seuss. Nursery rhymes. Robert Frost. Emily Dickinson. Dorothy Parker. Chaucer. Langston Hughes. Shakespeare. So many poets, discovered and undiscovered . . .

One of the reasons that I started this blog last year was that Justrose at the Anonymous Rowhouse had been doing a poem a day on her blog, and I commented so much that I thought, “Well, why can’t I do this?” . . .

So here we all are, almost one year later. This year, I want to celebrate the whole month by doing a series of lessons that I found on the web here:

The English Room: 30 Days of Poetry
http://www.msrogers.com/English2/poetry/30_days_of_poetry.htm

The activities are geared toward middle school and high school students, which is great! I think it will be easier for me to keep up with daily if the activities aren’t too complicated. Now some of the lessons do look rather challenging, but in a good way . . .

I’d love it if some of you could do some of the exercises with me and post what you come up with in the comments for each day. I know that all of you are excellent writers and I am eager to see what other folks can pull off . . .

Are you all game? I’m so excited!

No comments: