Monday, March 13, 2006

Holding Patterns

I got a lot of work done today. The Random Non-profit had given us today off because of the Board meetings over the weekend, but I have so much work to get done that I just had to work on some things anyway. I finished a draft of a newsletter and made good headway on two funder reports. Sometime this evening I have to do a lesson plan for ESL class tomorrow, then I’ll be done for the day . . .

Yesterday we went out and ran a bunch of errands, taking advantage of the nice weather. We went to the bookstore so that Mr. Random could redeem his birthday gift cards, but somehow I ended up getting a couple of books for myself . . . not that I don’t already have stacks of books to read, you know. I must be stopped! However, in my defense, one of the books was a new, better Thesaurus, but there was really no good excuse for the other two . . .

Mr. Random did have a good birthday dinner on Saturday. Many of his friends showed up and brought him numerous gift cards, which were spent in the aforementioned spree . . .

Yesterday I also spent a large amount of time cleaning off my desk here in the Den – it was so covered with piles of papers that you could not actually see the surface of the desk, nor could you actually use the laptop computer that was buried somewhere in the mess. Now, there is plenty of surface area and I am happy to have my writing spot back again. Whenever I feel overwhelmed, it seems that my organization skills fall by the wayside, thus making me feel MORE scattered because everything is such a mess. I am hoping that cleaning the desk will bring good karma over into the rest of the week, so that I don’t feel so . . . so . . .

I’m hoping to have a little more time to read this week. Whenever I get to do a lot reading, the quality of my writing immediately improves. This only happens when I read actual books, though, magazines don’t quite engage the thought processes as much as reading 100 pages does . . . Is that just me? . . .

Looking at the side of the blog, I notice that I have been doing this for almost a full year. I did not think it would last this long, and it did not turn out the way I had hoped – I always imagined writing smart, sassy opinion pieces commenting on the news of the day. Instead you get semi-incoherent ramblings from someone who is neurotic and overscheduled . . .

But you know what? For better or for worse, this blog does reflect a lot of who I am and what I struggle with each day. . . and I don’t mind it at all. I do wish I could come have tea with you, my few faithful readers, to thank you for listening to my mutterings, but instead know that I think about you guys and worry about you everyday . . .

Until tomorrow! . . . unless it gets way busy – then it will be sometime soon . . .

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

Wow a year - it doesn't seem that long ago, no?

I love reading your posts, especially since you are in the area!

As for the bookstore, I think it is impossible to go into one without getting a book.