Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Summer Goals Revisited, Fall Goals Made

Let’s see how I did this summer, looking at the goals I set on June 14, 2005.

*Start running on a schedule: BWAAAH HA HA HA! [See Kath roll on the floor laughing hysterically.] Um, no. Well actually, I was doing pretty well, up until we returned from the trip. We ran a lot while we were on the coast, mostly because we HAD to get out of the house, but also we because had a lot more free time. Once we returned to our piles of work and mail, all semblance of schedule went out of the window. I am only a couple of weeks behind, but it was a tight schedule to get in shape for the Army Ten Miler and not much room for error. I may still do it, but with LOTS more walking than running!

*FINALLY apply for a Passport: The filled out app with photos . . . still on the desk. Was going to submit it the Thursday before we left on the trip, but time ran out. I still have until the 22nd to do this before summer officially runs out, so don’t write me off yet! (The delay now? Scraping the app fees together . . . money’s been a bit tight lately . . .)

(I can already see the disappointment on your virtual face, Virginia Gal, but knowing you are out there is why I haven’t given up on submitting it. Also, I have an overwhelming desire to go overseas on vacation somewhere by next summer.)

*Apply to go back to school in Spring 2006: Still deciding. I found that Penn State has an online degree program in the subject I want, and I am debating whether to go the online class route. Mr. Random is beyond supportive, as always, but I still have an anxiety attack when thinking of the money . . . I hate owing lots of money. I have until the end of October to decide this . . .

*Get a digital camera for our train trip to the West Coast in August: DONE! Now I just have to put the pics online so people can actually see them. That’s one of the drawbacks of a digital – no shiny pictures to hold in your hand, unless you pop for a photo printer.

*Work on redoing the kitchen (Stripping the hideous wallpaper, painting the walls and the cabinets): BWAAAH HA HA HA! Hopefully, this will be a FALL project, however our fridge, dishwasher and main bathroom toilet all sound as if they are going to die any second. I hate being a homeowner . . . I want to be able to complain to someone to fix this stuff for me. And heaven help us if Mr. Ransom decides that he is “handy” . . .

*Fix up the guest room for Fall guests: Well, it’s inhabitable at least. We had two guests stay there, and they didn’t complain. We do need a new bed in there, though. I’ve been spending more time in there since it’s been cleaned up, and I have just noticed that the mattress is horrible – you can feel every spring, and the bed isn’t level, due to the screwed up bed frame – the head of the bed leans lower than the foot. If Mr. Random’s mom comes to visit this fall, this must be remedied or else she’ll get a screwed up back and then we’ll never hear the end of it.

. . . So, how did I do? Progress has been made, but not enough to truly satisfy me. But the goals have been in my thoughts all summer, which is great! So, I’ll continue the goal setting and put down my goals for Fall:

Fall 2005 Goals

*Submit Passport and begin planning one international trip for next year.

*Apply for Spring 2005 classes somewhere. Make sure all paperwork in completed.

*Work on kitchen. At least strip that horrid wallpaper and paint the walls something more cheerful.

*Get new bed for the guest room. Make room a bit cozier for guests.

*Continue to exercise semi-regularly: Maybe take an exercise class involving some sort of dancing, or run at least twice a week.

*Put some pictures online so people can see them.

These are six pretty manageable goals . . . it will be fun to see how I do in December!

To end . . . This song was on the radio today . . . it is such a happy song, with happy memories for me. And it’s REM! With Kate Pierson from the B-52s!

Shiny Happy People
REM, Out of Time, 1991


Shiny happy people laughing
Meet me in the crowd
People, people
Throw your love around
Love me, love me
Take it into town
Happy, happy
Put it in the ground
Where the flowers grow
Gold and silver shine.

Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing.

Everyone around
Love them, love them
Put it in your hands
Take it, take it
There's no time to cry
Happy, happy
Put it in your heart
Where tomorrow shines
Gold and silver shine.

Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing.

[Did you know: from Songfacts (http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=1518)

*The title and chorus are based on a Chinese propaganda poster. The slogan "Shiny happy people holding hands" is used ironically - the song was released in 1991, 2 years after the Tiananmen Square uprising when the Chinese government clamped down on student demonstrators, killing hundreds of them.]

*This was the second single from the album. A very light, happy song, it was a stark contrast to the very profound "Losing My Religion," which was released first.

*In 1999, R.E.M. performed this on Sesame Street as "Furry Happy Monsters." Kate Pierson's part was performed by a Muppet that looked like her, but she voiced it. Guitarist Peter Buck has 2 daughters who were big fans of the show.]

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

What a strange comment above...? wondering if this is some sort of new spamming method?
Anywho - glad my presence is encouraging the passport application, I'm working on a co-worker also, she hasn't even gotten her pictures!
Your comment about Mr. Random cracked me up - being handy, we always joke my dad is like Mr. Cosby from the Cosby show, how he could never fix anything but always thought he could - hee hee.