Tuesday, October 30, 2007

One Man in His Time Plays Many Parts - His Acts Being Seven Ages


Last week, my friend J and I saw the Shakespeare play, As You Like It, at the Folger Theater.

I was a bit wary, given that I wasn’t thrilled with their staging of The Tempest this past spring, but I was pleasantly surprised. The acting was pretty consistent, although sometimes a bit on the hammy side, which can be expected. They threw in a little more gender-bending than it is usually staged, but it definitely worked in the spirit of the play. There was also a semi-celebrity playing Jaques – Joseph Marcell, who had played Geoffrey on the “Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”

We went to a preview performance of the play, so it was a little cheaper than normal. Yay! The set was very bare bones, but creative. A large part of the audience consisted of a busload of middle-school girls – I think it was a class trip- who looked like they had dressed up for the occasion. Oh, I’m so glad not to be 12 again . . .

For a full review, you can go here. Next up in a few weeks: The Taming of the Shrew.

No comments: