Friday, October 05, 2007

Momma Needed A New Pair of Shoes



[Girly post alert: The below post contains a discussion about shoes. If you aren’t into that sort of thing, you can just read the first two paragraphs and consider yourself done. I promise it won’t hurt my feelings!]

So my exams are over now. One I know I did pretty well with, the other one . . . well, not as well. For the second exam, my brain just sort of gave out on me, and afterwards I was kicking myself for missing obvious things. I don’t know if it was because one exam was at 7:30 to 9:30 in the evening and the other was at 9:30 in the morning – I didn’t have enough “refresher time” for the second one, I guess. Plus, I had worked myself into a tizzy about both exams so I was bound to psych myself out on one of them. It kind of sucked that they were scheduled one right after another, and it’s going to happen that way for the final too, so I’m going to have to figure out an efficient way to handle studying for both at the same time . . .

So, being despondent when I left my exam today, I thought it would be a fine time to go look for some new pairs of boots. I usually wear my boots and shoes into the ground (I hate shoe shopping!) so I definitely feel the need for a couple of pairs of dress boots before the true cold weather sets in.

I went to a semi-famous shoe outlet and was rather disappointed in both the short and tall boot selections. Either the heels were too tall and I could see myself (a) tripping and falling a lot or (b) looking like I should stand on 14th street, or the heels were too low and the boots looked pretty dumpy. I’m pretty short, but I’m also pretty picky and I don’t feel the need to add another 4 or 5 inches to my height. It is also a terrible time finding shoes in my size – usually my size is snapped up pretty quickly. I also have the problem of wearing one size for one type of shoe and another size for another type of shoe, so I really have to try EVERYTHING on and walk around in them – no “off the rack” shoes for me!

Feeling even more grumpy, I moved around the store to look at other stuff and then these two pairs of shoes caught my eye. They were actually sitting right across from each other and seemed to call out my name.

I was very excited to see the Mary Janes – They are black suede with patent leather trim. I have a very, very old pair that are black suede that I bought about 7 years ago and I could never find a pair in that style to replace them. I have been still wearing the old pair, even though a lot of the suede has rubbed off – see, I told you I wear shoes to death!

The other pair are black leather oxfords – I’d been looking for a nice, normal looking pair for a while to wear with suits and dress pants. They were not too high and not too big or small.

And both pairs had sizes available that actually fit me. Yay!

So while the day started off pretty lousy, I now have two nice pairs of shoes which I can wear into the ground until this time next year. Retail therapy is a good thing sometimes . . .

2 comments:

mommanator said...

neither pair appears to look like boots to me, they are nice. I would never wear shoes that high, as a nurse I have always been on my feet and for years wore nursing oxford's and never wore much style in shoes. I wear burkinstocks & revox most of the time now. I look to the back of the closet when get gussied up. Not much use for them otherwise. The second probably wasn't as bad as you think. Hang in there

Virginia Gal said...

Congrad's on finishing the exams - isn't that a great feeling when they are all done?!

I love the shoes!!!