Friday, May 20, 2005

Call Me . . . Befuddled

I’ve had a very confusing and frustrating day. I haven’t quite processed it enough to rant about it yet . . . but it was very unsettling.

Good news though! I did pick up my negatives from the photo place and I did see a few sweet shots that I’d like to try to print once we reach that part of my photo class. Last night we went over shutter speeds, f-stops, metering and – where I meet my Waterloo – depth of field. I understand the concept emotionally – I can do it without thinking, just by looking through the viewfinder and adjusting the stops to what I want to capture, but in order to trouble shoot what has gone wrong with a shot, you have to understand which stops do what – and the way you figure it out is quite counter-intuitive and drives me bats.

Increased depth of field (Sharp foreground and background) means . . . smaller aperture, which means a larger f-stop? What???? Decreased depth of field (more blurry background) means . . . larger aperture, which means a smaller f-stop? Huh???? If anyone has an easy way to remember this, feel free to share, otherwise I do have some research to do this weekend I see . . .

What’s up on the schedule this weekend? Saturday: Running (me), soccer game (husband), Reston Fine Arts Festival (both). Sunday: Choir practice (me), Church (both), baby shower (maybe both of us), soccer game (maybe husband, if don’t go to baby shower).

To end, let me throw out a little Dorothy Parker to lighten up this dreary Friday:

One Perfect Rose

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet-
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
"My fragile leaves," it said, "his heart enclose."
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

No comments: