Friday, April 29, 2005

Gentle April Rain

It is a little rainy here today, breezy on the cool side. The kind of day you want to curl up on the couch with a book and a cup of mint tea, maybe with an oatmeal cookie or two. K and I went to the library last night and I got out two books – a newer Maeve Binchy, and one called “Something Dangerous” that was thick, with small type, and looked perfectly escapist  – when I’ll read them, I don’t know but I’m thinkin’ today would have been a perfect day to start, if that darn work didn’t get in the way.

 

I picked this poem because it seemed wonderfully whimsical, and whimsy is good thing on a Friday afternoon:

 

Weather

By Eve Merriam

 

Dot a dot dot dot a dot dot

Spotting the windowpane.

 

Spack a spack speck flick a flack fleck

Freckling the windowpane.

 

A spatter a scatter a wet cat a clatter

A splatter a rumble outside.

 

Umbrella umbrella umbrella umbrella

Bumbershoot barrel of rain.

 

Slosh a galosh slosh a galosh

Slither and slather a glide

 

A puddle a jump a puddle a jump

A puddle a jump puddle splosh

 

A juddle a pump a luddle a dump

A pudmuddle jump in and slide!

 

No comments: