Friday, July 20, 2007

Random Song in my Head


Cocktails For Two
Words & Music by Arthur Johnston & Sam Coslow
Recorded by Spike Jones and His City Slickers


In some secluded rendezvous
That overlooks the avenue
With someone sharing a delightful chat
Of this and that and cocktails for two.

As we enjoy a cigarette
To some exquisite chansonette
Two hands are sure to slyly meet beneath
A sur-vi-ette with cocktails for two.

Bridge:

My head may go reel - ing,
But my heart will be o-be-dient
With intoxicating kisses for the prin-ci-pal in-gre-dient.

Most any afternoon at five
We'll be so glad to be alive
Then maybe fortune will complete her plan
That all began with cocktails for two.



This morning, while on my way to work, I had this song running through my brain – complete with all of the sound effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktails_for_Two) that normally accompany it.

OK, it was weird enough that I had this particular song running through my head today. But then I tried to remember why exactly I know this song – particularly the Spike Jones version of the song.

I seem to remember watching a TV show when I was younger (early 80’s?) where people would lip sync to various songs while singing or doing little dance routines or something. I can’t remember if someone was awarded a prize at the end, but I’m thinking it was something like that . . .

Ok, I remembered the name of the show: Puttin’ on the Hits. See, I’m not going bonkers? It DID exist!

http://www.tv.com/puttin-on-the-hits/show/7675/summary.html
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/1293-puttin-on-the-hits/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346377/plotsummary

If you look, you’ll see that someone is thinking of bringing the show back. Ugh! Although it was rather fun, I admit, to watch when I was 14, I can’t imagine watching it now . . . it would probably be quite painful. However, there does seem to be an appetite for this sort of show now, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it got quite popular again . . .

That was pretty random for today, wasn't it?

1 comment:

mommanator said...

O were you singing in the rain or what you sound so blissful!