Monday, July 02, 2007

Eight Random Things About Random Kath

Steve G. at Philosopher’s Playground tagged me for this meme, so here it goes . .

- Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
- People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
- At the end of your blog post, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
- Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.

1) I had perfect attendance all through school, up until my senior year of high school when I had to miss days to go to my Grandpa’s funeral.

2) Since high school, all of my best friends have been guys. I’m just not really girly. I think it has to do with my inferiority complex – I always think other women must think I’m deficient in some way, that I lack some female companionship gene that allows me to have womanly conversations. Now I have lots of women friends, just not really best friends.

3) However, I only had one other real boyfriend before I met Mr. Random, and that was when I was 24. I was more of a “little sister” type, which was fine by me. Besides, I never really wanted to date any the guys I was friends with – I knew them much too well and saw how they acted around actual girls. One of my friends actually said “don’t date me or let any of your friends date me.” It turned out to be great advice, since he was such a hound. The nicest, most congenial guy you’d ever meet though. Great to go to happy hours with, just not very good at handling serious relationships.

4) I don’t like eating mushrooms. The whole fungus thing freaks me out.

5) I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the drums. Percussion sounds like it would be such a stress reliever, to be able to bang along on something.

6) I enjoy discussing topics with people face to face, even though I feel that I am horrible at speaking. Often I can see in my head what I mean, but the words just don’t want to come out. I talk with my hands a lot . . . too much sometimes. I often have to remind myself to sit on my hands, so they don’t become distracting to others. On the other hand, I probably should learn sign language at some point – where hand gestures are encouraged and useful . . .

7) As much as I love teaching ESL to adults, I don’t know if I’d ever like to do it professionally. All the paperwork and rules would just drive me crazy. Teaching on a volunteer basis, there's no real pressure and I can tailor the lessons however I want. I like the low key-ness of it all. Now, I am very rigorous and organized in how I teach and I make sure that everyone understands the concepts that we are trying to impart over a semester, but teaching once a week is different from teaching five days a week.

8) My favorite type of ice cream is cinnamon.


I’m lousy at following meme directions, and I think most people have done this one, so I am not going to assign this to anyone else. If you are moved to do it, though, please let me know!

1 comment:

CS said...

Interesting list. I had to laugh about the fungus thing. I used to have lots of close male friends before I got married, and now I'm working on getting that back in my life. I also have a few extrememly clsoe female friends. I like having both in my life. (Of course, I also like men for dating.)