Thursday, June 28, 2007

Feeling in the Raw

I’ve been rather quiet for this past week, both out of being busy but also out of not knowing what to say. I have not been responding to your great comments, but they have been read in snatches of time here and there.

I don’t want to sound whiny or miserable, so I’m just trying to get through each day as I best can. My boss was out in the field this week, which left me to have to handle some things in the office alone which turned out to be way over my head. It has been a very discouraging time and I am very happy that this week is almost over.

To go to happier topics, I am going to the theater on Saturday and am really looking forward to being out with a friend and having lunch and generally doing things that I adore doing, and wish I could do more of, more often.

In Friday’s Washington Post, there was a review of the version of Shakespeare’s Macbeth that my friend J and I are planning to see sometime in the next month . . . it’s going to be “Costume Free”! If that link doesn’t work, there’s more information about it here.

At first, I was wondering if I could really handle watching something like that live – this theater is really small and intimate, so you are pretty close to the action on stage no matter where you are. But I figure, after 15 20 minutes or so you’ll get used to it and won’t even notice anymore, really . . . AND you’ll definitely be paying attention to the words, since you won’t have costume cues to let you know who is who. I’ve taken several drawing classes with live models, both male and female. Once you get over your initial 12 year old kid reaction, you move on and pay attention to the details . . .

Ah, yes – the sacrifices one makes to become a sophisticated theatergoer!

Also, the show schedule is out for this year’s DC Fringe Festival – July 19-29. Lots of interesting choices there, lots of really odd stuff, too – it wouldn’t be called “fringe” if it didn’t have shows like this or this.

Today’s Audience Participation Question is:

Looking at the Fringe schedule, what shows do you think I should go see? Include any shows that you’d personally want to see, or shows that you think look SO ridiculous that I should go to just to see how they turn out.

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

I like the cheating at Poker, sounds interesting...