Monday, December 04, 2006

Nowhere Near The Target, But Still Happy


NaNoWriMo is now over and I only wrote less than 5,000 words out of 50,000 for the month of November. Actually, that’s pretty good news, since it was the most writing I have ever been able to finish in a month, outside of this blog. In fact, I will credit the blog for helping me a great deal with this year’s project, since now I am at least posting once or twice a week. While I cannot put a winner sticker on my blog, I am proud to have the participant icon and seeing it will mean a great deal to me now. Let’s aim for at least 10,000 words in 2007!

I am in L-U-V . . . When Mr. Random and I went out to lunch on Sunday after church, we happened by an open-air antiques market. We stopped in - because we are pack-rats who love old things, even if we don’t have the money to buy any of it. At the market, we happened by a table of a man who was selling old cameras – all old film cameras, all in very good condition. He had several old Kodak Brownies in large black leather-ish cases, several old 30’s and 40’s type cameras that have the big flash bulbs that you pop out (just like you would see in an old movie where the press is taking a picture of some event), but my eyes immediately went to the absolutely gorgeous twin-lens reflex camera he had on the table. See (http://www.ozcamera.com/4_camera_types.html) and go to #3 to see what I’m talking about – it wasn’t that brand, but very similar. I have been doing nothing but thinking about that camera since yesterday and it is killing me. The gentleman let me hold it and look through it and I loved the simplicity and the design and the heft. You have to hold the camera almost to waist level and look down into the viewfinder to see what is going through the lens. The film that you would have to use is 120mm, which is the same as for a Holga (which reminds me that I need to get that film developed at some point from the pictures I took at National Cathedral – oy!) I’m not sure how much it cost (I’m SO hoping that it is reasonable), but I must go back next weekend to see if it is still there – if it is, it was meant to be mine . . .

Should I really be buying another camera right now, even though I’m hoping for a Digital DLR for Christmas? And that I have a bunch of other cameras that I need to get film developed for (the Holga 120mm B&W, the Canon A-1 35mm B&W, and the Canon AE-1 Program 35mm Color)? What if I said that I was going to become a collector, would that make it sound better?

Actually, my problem is that I hate having to get film developed – it costs actual money and takes actual time, especially since I use Professional films that you can’t just take over to CVS or Target to get developed. It was much more fun when I had access to the school’s darkroom and I could just play in the chemicals to my heart’s content. That’s why I want a digital – I can print the pictures myself, at home, without having to go through anyone else. Any mistakes I make will be mine alone . . .

Another busy week ahead, some of which may actually be pleasant. Volunteer pot-luck party tomorrow night, marathon choir practice Wednesday night, the return of Brat Night on Thursday, some sort of outing on Saturday. Mr. Random and I have to start taking out the Christmas decorations this week, too. We’ll probably put up the tree on Sunday. I miss having real trees . . . I miss that awesome evergreen smell. Hopefully, we can pick up some nice branches that we can place around the house as a substitute . . .

Do you know that I may actually be considering doing another evening of teaching in January? Not for the org that I’m teaching for now, but tutoring a small group middle school students in Literature? No, I’m not crazy – it’s just that I’ve always wanted to try to give back to younger people and nurture them in ways that I found helpful being nurtured when I was that age. I want to encourage kids to study hard and make the most of their opportunities, which is something that my parents really impressed upon me. Not everyone has such psycho . . . er, um, I meant has such committed parents working in their lives, wanting them to succeed.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I seem to have a pattern of the first post of the week just being a random mind dump, so the next one should be more coherent . . .


No comments: