Wednesday, December 20, 2006

All is Calm, All is Bright

Mr. Random is home sick today. He came into my office around 3:45 yesterday afternoon and almost passed out on top of my desk, admitting that he didn’t feel well and that he needed me to drive him home. There are very few times that I’ve seen him that pale and drawn, and he rarely gets very sick, so I was beside myself with worry. When I told my boss I was leaving, she told me that I should go home too (one of the perks of having your husband work there – everyone understands when one has to leave for the other . . .)

I drove home and he promptly fell onto our bed. I had to coax him into taking off his clothes and taking some medicine – his voice sounded horrible and his coughs were so guttural. He had a quite a fever going, so I opened our bedroom window wide. Mr. Random fell right to sleep and slept for a good 3 hours. During that quiet time, I thought it was a good time to pull out the Christmas wreath to put on our door and find the Christmas lights to put on the tree. I didn’t really feel all that eager to do much more decorating, since I was rather exhausted from the day myself. When Mr. Random finally woke up, I made him some homemade pasta and bean soup for dinner, along with many, many cups of Earl Grey tea.

There are days I feel that I have fully satisfied the nurturing gene inside of me, and yesterday was one of them. For once I felt as if the hustle and bustle was stripped down, if only for a few hours, and there was time to be at peace and let the inner Martha Stewart come out.

I do wish it didn’t take someone being sick, or having to be on vacation for a week, to get to that place inside where I feel comfortable enough to be wife-y/motherly. Each day is always so jam packed with things to do, and Mr. Random hardly ever sits still himself (which is part of the reason he got so sick), that the mood never presents itself when I get home at night or on the weekends.

I think a goal for the new year is that I try to carve out a little more of my life so that I can have these moments a little more often, and not wait until an outside event forces me to do so . . .

No comments: