Sunday, January 11, 2009

Let's Go Down to the River

Today, at the church I attend, the pastor discussed baptism as the theme of this week. As part of the service, he showed a scene from "O Brother, Where Art Thou" where the three guys come upon the scene of a mass baptism and one of the gentlemen runs down to the river to be saved.

That scene has one of the most beautiful songs that I know of, Down in the River to Pray, which is sung by one of my favorite performers, Allison Krauss.

Here is a BBC video overlaid with her singing. It is very peaceful . . .



There was a video of her singing the song live with Robert Plant, but that version seems to have been filmed by someone in the 30th row of the concert hall, with people walking back and forth in front of the lens and other people screaming "WOOOOO!" at very inconvenient points . . .

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!

2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

OMG - I love that song too! Its my second favorite on the O Brother soundtrack! First being I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow.

Anonymous said...

That really is a beautiful song and also stunning footage but a funny juxtaposition - I have an image of someone getting baptized in the waterfall!