Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Scorpio In Transit

Things are weighing heavily on the brain this week, as Mr. Random starts his new job at what shall now be known as the Random Publication.

It’s a very big transition – so big that we won’t be sure what it all means for several weeks. We have to wake up much earlier, since Mr. Random now has to drive into town. I arrive at the Random Non-Profit much earlier, since Mr. Random drops me off in the morning. Lunch will probably be me wandering off to the strip mall or me huddled by my desk. I’m really not that social at work – having Mr. Random there at least allowed me to interact with folks on a looser basis. I’m not very chit-chatty – I just like to do my work and go home. I’m helpful and friendly as I can be, but I just have a lot of stuff to do, stuff on my mind.

It’s causing me to reflect a lot on my relationships with people. Now that Mr. Random is not close, that means we see each other much less, and with him going to graduate school for another year, it means many evenings of him studying and me off reading somewhere or watching TV during the week. My teaching is ended for the summer and does not start again until fall. Many of my friends are busy with families and/or work and/or traveling. One sister is in Iraq and not accessible. The other is off being 23 years old somewhere . . .

Usually I am so busy, but I do value having other people around, having people to talk to. Not small talk-y stuff though – I just have so many questions right now and not many answers . . .

Transitions are not easy. Mr. Random has such much to deal with and my grumbling – my whining, my complaining, my bitching – would not be very helpful to him.

It is a gorgeous day here in Northern Virginia – summer is almost here. Everything is green and the sky is blue. There is much to be thankful for and happy about. I need to remember that and keep it close right now . . .

2 comments:

mommanator said...

transitions are always hard to get used to but I am sure you will get into the swing in no time. just think you will have time to reflect and collect things to write about while on lunch break at the malls. plus the opportunity for the exercise, we always need more of that

CS said...

Transistions, no matter what good they are bridging to, are difficult. Being apart is difficult. Ambiguity is difficult. Walking the balance between being aware of what is good in your life and allowing yourself soem normal anxiety is also difficult. Hope in the long (and not too long) run it all works out for the very best,