Friday, January 05, 2007

What I Did New Year's Day . . .


It's not the best picture . . . but you get the idea.


Gee, the new year is only five days old and I seem to have already fallen down on the “more reading, more writing, more pictures” goal. I DO still have another 51 weeks to go, so I’m not too worried . . . yet.

J and I did go out to have a new year’s lunch on Monday, and afterwards I somehow ended up at in the Capitol Rotunda, viewing the casket of former President Ford. Quite the romp through the surreal it was, combining two of my least favorite pastimes – standing in long lines and getting “frisked” by security . . .

Well, first we were just going to go down to “see the scene” and scout out the activities. I had no desire to go to this event at all – I was not able to go view Thurgood Marshall when he was lying in honor at the Capitol, and I did not see Rosa Parks – and these are two people whose actions arguably meant much more to my life and that of many others, than those of the late President. Then J said, “well, let’s see how long the line is.” Then, “Hey, the line seems to be moving – let’s stand in it and see what happens.” At this point, I knew what was going on, but I also knew that J really wanted to do this, so I played along. I also made sure to show my utter annoyance at having to stand in line for – OK, it was under an hour and a half, so it wasn’t horrible – but who wants to spend the first day of the new year at what equals a funeral? However, my signs of annoyance seemed to amuse J to no end – why do people have such fun making me miffed?

Above is the card that the Capitol staff passed out to each person as we entered the Rotunda. If you have never been inside, it is a very cool and awe inspiring experience, only marred by the large riser of cameras and photographers that stood off to the side, filming the proceedings. There was not time to stop and take a moment – the line moved quickly towards, around and past the casket – we could not have spent more than 30 seconds in the place . . .

After leaving the rotunda, a representative of each visiting party was encouraged to sign one of the condolence books and since J, in the teen years, was the one who had met the President, J was the one who signed the book . . .

I am glad that I went – it did feel like a significant moment, a part of history, a paying of respect to the past. Everyone should be able to experience something like this once in their life – and by living so close to DC, I really need to take these opportunities more often . . .

Besides, President Ford did have a quiet integrity that is so rare to find in public figures these days . . .

I am not a saint, and I am sure I have done things I might have done better or differently, or not at all. I have left undone things I should have done. But I believe and hope I have been honest with myself and others, that I have been faithful to my friends and fair to my opponents, and that I have tried my very best to make this great Government work for the good of all Americans.

-- Gerald R. Ford

No comments: