Monday, September 18, 2006

Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker.
Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less
the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
--Thomas J. Watson


I know that I probably shouldn’t apologize for not updating the blog as frequently as I wish to – I am sure that it is implicit in blogging that life will get in the way, and what I’m writing isn’t exactly breaking news/must-read material – but I still feel compelled to do so . . .

I had the day off on Friday, and yet it wasn’t really a day off, so any benefits that might have accrued in having a Friday off did not occur. The weekend was packed with fun things, but sometimes I think I try to pack too many fun things in to counteract all of the lousy things I have to do during the week.

The Random Non-profit is still going through a bit of turmoil and my current position puts me right in the middle of it and I am starting to think that I don’t quite have the fortitude to deal with this stuff. Or maybe I do . . . but the main problem is that ever since I have come back from my trip, I have been running on a deficit of sleep. When I get stressed out, I can’t really sleep, and when I can’t really sleep, everything else goes down the tubes. I hate being stuck in the middle of office politics – I really do . . .

Today’s quote should give me strength and comfort, but it sounds easier to do in theory than it is in practice . . .

I believe in our mission. I believe in the wonderful work that the people in the field do to further our mission. I feel that things I do here can and do help create positive outcomes in local communities. However, I feel that at this moment the internal stupidity is in danger of jeopardizing all of the good work that we are trying to do, and has the potential of driving away a lot of our grassroots activists – which would irreparably hobble what we are trying to achieve together. We are acting in haste, when restraint is in order – especially for changes of this magnitude . . .

Clear as mud, huh?

I hate whining about this, but each new wrinkle makes me want to crawl into the fetal position or just hop in the car and go far, far away and not have to deal with anything. Part of being an adult is learning how to deal with situations like this – toughening up and not taking things so personally. But this affects too many people for me to want to just sit by and watch things implode. I actually DO care about my job and I take what I do very seriously, so seeing people veer from the paths of logic . . . just hurts.

Thanks for being such a patient ear, folks . . .

No comments: