Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Heading South

Of course, as soon as I start building up some decent posts, it’s time for me to go on a business trip for a couple of days. I will be sans my laptop for this trip, so new posting probably won’t happen again until Saturday. Thanks for your comments – I’ll be thinking about things quite a bit while I am away . . .

Mr. Random’s grad school did not let us know until Friday that he will need a laptop with him on the first day of class – they want to load a bunch of software on that he will be using throughout the 18 months of the program. Since there isn’t time to get a new laptop (and we also don’t have the money to get a new one), my laptop will become his. Oh, well – I am extremely bummed, but at least I had it for 9 months! I used it to do a lot of research and writing on it for work, besides just plain old joyous screwing around on the internet, but I lived without it before, so I’ll deal with it now . . .

By the way, dealing with the University has been quite a chore for Mr. Random – it takes them days to actually answer whatever question that anyone e-mails them or calls them with, and this had been seconded by some other folks in Mr. Ransom’s program. They theorize that because they are in the Weekend Program that they are placed at the bottom of the priority pool, but a friend of ours that attended the same school for a different grad program said that service for him was pretty lousy too. I guess you don’t really notice the lousy service much when you are in school the first time, but once you are out in the “real world” you start to expect things to happen in a much more timely manner . . .

I’m not looking that forward to this trip because there is so much going on here at home and I am upset that I’m going to miss sending off Mr. Random on his first day of school. I have low expectations for this trip, since on previous trips I’ve worked myself into almost exhaustion, and this one will be no exception. I won’t even have a buffer evening to wind down – once my last committee meeting is finished, I’m off to the train station to make my way home . . .

On a positive note, I am bringing two books with me and I’m hoping to be able to read most of one of them, if not finish. I’m bringing both White Teeth and The Emperor of Ocean Park – which one I read will depend on what I’m in the mood for once I get on the train . . .

I am also bringing my Holga camera with me, in case I get an opportunity to take some street shots while I’m there. However, the Holga doesn’t have a flash and I may not be able to be out and about until after dark, so it may be a waste of space . . .

I’m only taking one smallish rolling suitcase and a backpack. All the clothes/shoes/toiletries are stuffed into the suitcase – I’m so happy that I’m taking the train so that I can see where my bag is at all times . . . and I can bring a couple of bottles of water and some trail mix with me, so I don’t have to buy anything.

I’m trying to get better at packing, but on these business trips you never really know what’s going to happen on any given day. Am I going to end up spilling a whole Coke down my white shirt? Are the rooms going to be too hot? Too cold? If one night a whole bunch of people want to go out to dinner should the dress be casual? Semi-casual? Keep on the business clothes I had on all day? Will I want to go to the gym in the hotel and walk on the treadmill or do the elliptical? Should I bring my sneakers? It’s so hard to be a female sometimes . . .

Time for the Fall grind to start! I hope everyone had a great Labor day. See you all when I get back . . .


We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us. -- Joseph Campbell

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
-- Mark Twain

One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways.
-- Bertrand Russell

No comments: