Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Fat Lady Has Sung

The conference is finally over. Most of the attendees have filled out their evaluation forms, checked out of their rooms and are on their way home. The tables have been cleared of leftover presentations. All of the boxes have been packed up and taken away.

I am sitting in the hotel lobby – first time since Sunday that I have been able to just sit and take a breath and not worry about someone needing something, or something not being done. It’s all out of my hands now . . . the next conference is starting and it is all someone else’s problem now.

It was a good conference. Everyone said that they really enjoyed the speakers and the give and take, enjoyed being able to network with their peers, and took away some really great ideas that they can take back to their organizations and communities.

That is all I need. It was the entire purpose of all of this angst and last minute dramas and long hours. As long as the people that it is our mission to help are happy, I am now happy. They are the ones that count, no matter how annoying my boss is, no matter the hoops I need to jump through to get what I need to do my job.

Now I can rest. I will get to walk on the beach at sunset and have a nice dinner. I will leave here tomorrow well rested and calm, basking in the glow of a job well done, living in the happy moment.

Now, next week? . . . That’s another story . . .

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

Coming back to Northern Virginia during an unusual hot weather streak!
Congrad's on the success of the conference.